Saturday, January 9, 2016

I Am Registered to Run!

I have taken the advice of the running podcasters. I have some running goals, so I bit the bullet, and I have put a 5K on my schedule. 

Some description
I will be running the 12th Annual Heart to Heart 5K at Kedron Elementary on Saturday, February 6. I went for the cheap option of no t-shirt, and it was only $10. 


I am hoping that having this on the schedule will be motivation to run. Since the end of November I have gotten back into the gym at our apartment complex. Living in Dalton and then Brooks I would have had to join a gym and pay a membership, but here (Newnan) we are already paying for it, so... yeah, I might as well use it. I have enjoyed lifting weights again, certainly, but I know I need to lose some weight, and I think doing some running will be conducive to that. 

The date I have chosen is one in the near future. I think a distant date would not be a great current motivation. And I plan to add some dates after this one, depending on how it goes. I definitely plan to do the race that goes to benefit the Coweta Pregnancy Center in March, which our church supports. 

Let me share with you something that totally blew me away. I know my Papaw used to run a lot when I was little. My dad still runs, not competitively, but to stay in shape. But my Papaw, apparently was very good at it. I think it's cool that on the internet you can look up the past results of races, so I looked up the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon results from the year I was born. My Papaw finished first in his age group at over 60 years old. The time he finished in was 3 hours, 54 minutes, and 47 seconds. What!!!!! That is faster than a 9 minute per mile pace!!!! I mean, good grief. My goal for this race I have signed up for is simply to do better than a 10 minute pace. We will see, we will see. 

For any runners out there, if you have any advice for someone just starting, feel free to comment below. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment